Thursday 13 June 2013

Wild about new camera

Brief excursion into camera geekery. I've had very good mileage out of my old compact camera (an extremely inexpensive General Imaging Z1300 from Argos): you really can't complain when you get pictures like this and this. But I've always been aware of its poor low-light performance, slightly cranky focus lock, and limited (3x) optical zoom. I decided it was time for an upgrade, and after a browse of the Argos catalogue, went for a Canon Ixus 500 HS compact.

I won't go into vast detail, except to say that it gives very crisp and (to my eye) accurately coloured images; the focus and motion compensation are superb (I was able to get good distance shots from the pitching Isle of Wight FastCat ferry); the zoom is effortless, and in full auto mode the camera switches seamlessly to whatever mode is needed (e.g. close-up macro or low-light); and the zoom (12x optical, up to 21x digital) is good enough to get very decent shots of creatures that don't like you getting close. And all this from a compact only around 2cm x 5cm x 9cm, £79.99 from Argos. It doesn't get the highest ratings from online camera review sites - it tends to get 4/5 - mostly, I think, because some users find it a bit fiddly, and one slight downside is that it needs a dedicated battery, not AAs. But I'm extremely pleased with it. A few samples from last weekend:










- Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment